Monday, September 15, 2014

A few odds and ends this early morning

I try to put stuff up on a regular basis, but sometimes it gets hard.  This morning is one of those times.  So, I may not write too much, but maybe a few keystrokes on the old worn-out netbook I like to work with.  Yep, this thing is wearing out.  It is over 5 years old and it has a solid state memory.  Funny, when I bought this thing, I figured that it would be a faster machine.  Nope.  That's what's wrong with it now, it is rather slow.  It's kinda like me.  I'm wearing out.

It's amazing how you can get used to something.  I have so many little maladies that I sometimes forget how much stuff is bothering me in a physical sense.  One more thing came up recently.  I already had one bad foot, now I seem to be getting another.  Oh, joy.  My right foot now gets sore on the heel.  It hurts when I get up, but after walking around awhile, it feels better.

So, here I am.  Worn out old dude on a worn out machine.  In a worn out culture that's probably dying.  Yet, my spirit is like a teenager.  Maybe that isn't good.  Come to think of it, that's the way the entire culture is like---won't grow up.

When I work on this project that I am on now, that is going off-the-grid, I wonder if I am taking on too much.  I assume that I will feel good enough to do useful work.  This thing may require that I do a lot of physical labor.  A young person may not think of it as very physical, but for an old guy with bum wheels, just about anything that requires much in the way of moving can be physical.

I may wimp out and not build a cabin at all.  There's a sale on trailers in this area.  Perhaps the best bet would be to just to buy one and tow it out there.

Too ambitious as I wrote before.  Of course, where I come from, you get no help.  Oh, don't be too hard on the folks.  But still.

And that one about making my own methanol?  That might be too ambitious too.  However, it is important enough to be able to recycle everything that I may build it anyway.  Or try to.  Buying the trailer house would free up my time so that I could do that.  Besides, if I feel good enough, I could still build a cabin--- but with a trailer, that could wait.

On yet another subject, the water filtering experiments took a turn for the better this weekend.  As I mentioned in earlier posts, the sand seemed to allow only a very slow drain of the water.  Now, it is draining much faster.  I tweaked it a bit, and now it is working much better.  This gives me the opportunity to try out a few experiments to see how well it can filter stuff.  Good news there.

All the while, I blog.  And work full time!  A pretty full plate for an old dude.  If I don't blog that much sometimes, now you know why.  Cut me some slack, hmm?


No comments: