Monday, December 16, 2013

Who Do You Write For When Your Audience Disappears?

via Instapundit

That thought dominates my thinking right now.  As I strive for an audience, that is.   Heck, after 3 years of this, I haven't got much of one.  Who actually comes here and reads this stuff?  I don't really know.

I like to speculate upon things, think, and brainstorm on some potential solutions for problems.  But what about my problem of getting an audience?  How the hell do you do that?

After 3 years of this, I have confirmed my thesis that there are solutions out there for the problems that are said to exist.  Whatever the problem is, there's a solution.  The biggest problem seems to be in getting these solutions implemented.

I figure a number of solutions could get a good start upon implementation if there was somebody with the purse strings who would release the money.  That could include the government, which has the biggest purse strings of them all.

But governments are run by politicians whose primary interest is in themselves.  They want to appear to solve OUR problems when it is THEIR problems that they are most concerned about.

Even the richest of the rich purse strings are dwarfed by the sheer magnitude of the government.  If a private entity spends money on something that doesn't work, it is ruinous.  To contrast that with government, a government can waste the fortunes of millions of people and still they would exist despite their failures.

I point to the World Wide Web for one example of how the government could kickstart a vast new enterprise.  Just a minor amount of money got it all started.  It just needed a spark and a spark was provided.  The rest is history.

How do you pick winners?  There are myriads of ideas out there that are all clamoring for their big chance in the sun.  Just a little money and they'd be off to the races.  But few of them ever pan out.

I tend to follow in the pattern of thinking of Elon Musk.  Except in contrast to me, he has a proven track record of creating things that succeed in the market.  He builds cars and rockets.  Now, that would be really cool to do that.  I would do that if I could.  My ideas don't seem to work out too well.

Are battery powered cars the best bet?  Musk thinks so.  I don't.  I do like his ideas on rockets, though.  That's going to work out.  But can you improve upon it?  Maybe!

Anyway, my time is limited and this little post has to close.  Frankly, I don't know what I'd do with an audience if I had it.  Maybe I'd sell advertising, but I don't like that.  It clutters up the place.


No comments: