Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Some random thoughts on blogging

Back to the popularity topic. Just read this morning on Ace some info on the subject. Since Ace has a lot of traffic, I guess he must be on the right track. This gives me something of a clue. What he says is that you need to put out content. I've read about this before. Quantity not quality.

But to me quality matters. It kind of takes me aback to think of my blog as quality though. But this blog is intended to be a source of information. The way Ace describes it, blogs are more of a pastime. Nobody is to take what is on a blog very seriously.

As usual, I seem to be out of step. I am flouting conventional wisdom. Blogs ain't supposed to be cerebral.

I want to have somebody be able to find some information of interest on this blog, hence the liberal use of links.

Something else comes to mind.  Somewhere someone wrote disparagingly about how web being a source of information.  So, why isn't it?  Or is it a bad source of information?

I wouldn't have known about a number of things if it weren't for the web.  Heck, all I know anymore comes from the web.  If the web is a bad source of information, then I'm getting bad information.  Actually, bad information is worse than no information at all.  To tell the truth, I don't believe it.  Too much stuff is out there for me to believe it is all bad.  Some of it has to be good, some of it has to be bad.  I wouldn't make blanket statements one way or another.

Another thing comes to mind.  My writing style seems to be uneven.  I may write pretty well at times, at other times, it is lower in quality.  The blog doesn't really have standards, although I did put up a post about standards, it is loosely kept.

Somebody may take that as a lack of seriousness.

Ace mentioned one fact that I should also relate here--- you are always under a time constraint when blogging.  That's because something needs to go up every day.  That isn't easy to do.  Every day I wonder what the heck I'll write about.  It isn't necessarily easy to do that.

Heck, let me just state that it's my own damn blog and I'll write whatever the hell I want.  Don't cost nothing but time.  If you've got the time, I've got the blog.  Waste your time here.  Maybe you'll learn something.  Maybe not.

No comments: