Thursday, February 10, 2011

How to not suck

I wish I knew.  If I could find a way to get more pageviews, I would do it.  But not for the popularity alone.  And not even for popularity itself.  Funny how that works.  I am in a business that is dependent upon popularity, but I don't necessarily want to be popular per se.

That last thought may be a clue.  hint hint

Anyway, if the thought occurred to me that if you aren't getting pageviews, your page must suck.  Well, I don't want my page to suck, so how do I avoid it.  Here's a possible insight.  I haven't even read it all yet, but one thought jumped into my head after reading it for a little while. The article is advertersing and people hate it on the web.  I know because I hate it too.  Maybe not "hate"  that is a taboo word these days.   We all want to be touchy feely and not use such mean words.  But I digress.

I've come to the quick opinion that too many ads make your website suck.  So, having Adsense boot me off their program may not have been a bad deal after all.  Basically, Adsense sucks.   But still I want to able to generate revenue from this blog without having to beg for donations.  Begging for donations is the really big suck.  How to get pageviews and ad clicks for revenue and not suck?  A 64k dollar question, that.

So, here's a policy to avoid suckiness when I put in an ad.  The only advertiser I can use now is Amazon.  If I sneak in an Amazon link, you may decide that my blog sucks.  So, if I put any Amazon ad that is embedded in the text as a link will for now on be in italics, ok?  For now on, ads are in italics.  Here's a test to see if it works.   Yes, it appears to work.  Now if you see a link in italics, you know it's an ad.  Hopefully, this will help me in avoiding your thinking that my blog sucks. 

If I think up any more ideas, I post it.  Really, I don't want to have a blog that sucks.

No comments: