Sunday, February 6, 2011

Palin should not run for President in 2012

I know this may seem unfair, and it probably is.  But it is reality.  She has been damaged too much for now and she needs time to rebuild that if it is possible for her to rebuild it.  It was never possible for Dan Quayle.  Once Quayle got blasted in that debate, it was over for him. It was unfair how Quayle got treated, but it stuck because he couldn't find a way to overcome it. Palin has been unfairly treated just as Quayle was and I think the comparison is valid.

That's reason number one.  Number two, I have already mentioned.  I don't think she's that good.  She's not Reagan.  I have reasons for believing this based upon my understanding of Reagan, and why he was great.  It won't necessarily jibe with what others may say.  In fact, I am sure that there are a lot of conservatives who think I'm way off for putting it this way.  Having said that, it doesn't mean she can't be an effective candidate and a good President.  But she needs time.  She can't overcome everything thrown against her this fast.  She may not be able to recover from it all.  From what I can tell so far, she's going to need time because she's just not in the same league as Reagan.

Thirdly, she is still young. She has time to build a loyal following and she has already managed to accomplish a lot of that.  But she needs to broaden her appeal.  Her critics have managed to define her and her challenge is to redefine herself so that the popular perception of her changes.  This is possible, but I haven't seen it so far.
The speech she gave in tribute to Reagan didn't do it.

No comments: