Friday, February 25, 2011

Back in the saddle again

Well, I'm back home.  So, what did I bring back from my trip?  I think I could have stopped my trip at Tallahassee and come home earlier.  The reason for this statement is that I feel as if I have gotten some new inspiration from that car museum.

What drew my attention was a billboard that I saw while driving along Interstate 10, dozens of miles or so from Tallahassee.  I first thought, wow!  That's interesting.  It was a picture of the Batmobile from the TV show Batman, which aired in the mid to late sixties.  I didn't get the information of where this place was before I breezed by it, so I turned around and went back.  This wasn't necessary as there were more signs down the road, but I didn't know that.  Anyway, I found the museum, which is right on the freeway at Exit 209, I believe it was.  Amazing place!   Here's the Batmobile, which was among several Batmobiles (from the movies) on display.

"Batmobile" on display at Tallahassee Car Museum
 Not too far from this display, I came across this:

Requiem to Free Enterprise?

This was a rather gloomy point of view expressed here.  If it is really true of this country, we are in trouble indeed.  But I'd like to keep an optimistic viewpoint.  Free Enterprise doesn't have to be dead. While it is true that most people look to Washington for solutions to problems these days, that alone won't prevent entrepreneurs from coming up with new ideas which will amaze, delight, and serve mankind.  If we blame Washington, we sell ourselves short.  That isn't necessary.

Here's another display which I thought fits the theme here.  It was the Tucker Torpedo.  The car was said to be ahead of its time.  There's some discussion here of a conspiracy to doom the car's production and any possible chance of success.  By the way, I haven't seen the movie.  It was a bomb at the box office.




Governments and Big Corporations are blamed for the failure of Tucker's dream.  It is true that Big Government and its promoters can ruin a car's public acceptance, as the Corvair below, but progress has continued to make cars better and better.  I think it can continue.

Ralph Nader's Corvair- "Unsafe at any Speed"
I posted a public link to my Facebook page to an album I am creating with these pics of the Tallahassee Car Museum.

Update: I had an earlier post on the Batmobile here.

No comments: