Thursday, January 6, 2011

Trying out this program said to be a screensaver

I found it through a post on NextBigFuture.  I've had it up and running for about an hour now.  I've decided to write up a short post about it.  First of all, I can't seem to find it again, but it may be obtainable here.

What it appears to do is to work in the background.  Let's say while you are reading this, your computer is basically idling.  This leaves a lot of processing power going to waste.  This software enables a lot of computers to get networked together so as to create enough computing power to solve some problems.  In this case, finding a cure for cancer.  This is one of several "screensavers" that I perused from the link at NextBigFuture.

So, why this one?  Well, it might help do something useful with something that may go to waste otherwise.  The computer doesn't get used constantly.  Sometimes it is just idle doing nothing.  If something useful can be done with that power, why not?

I'm not sure how this go classified as a screensaver.  That function isn't changed from what I can determine.

Some may ask, "how do you know that what you've downloaded is legit?"  I don't know 100%.  I'll keep an eye on it.  It doesn't seem to cause harm at the moment.  I scanned it with antivirus before installing it.  If it was malicious, that should have caught it.

Update: shortly afterward

BTW, I have added it to my sidebar in the interesting reading section.  It is called Folding@home.  It appears to be located at Stanford.  Here's a graph of the number of CPU's on the system now:

No comments: