Saturday, January 8, 2011

Cargo Cult Science

I remember reading something about this less than a year ago.  It so happens that the Digg news thingy on the bottom of the page had a link to a YouTube video by R.P. Feynman.  This reminded me of the Cargo Cult Science article that I read, so I looked it up.  I don't think this is the same place I read it before, but it looks like the same thing.  I don't know if the two are one and the same person, but the names are very similar.

The gist of the thing is that AGW is not science, but goes through the motions of being science.

Especially so in light of the East Anglia CRC emails scandal, the Michael Mann issues at Penn State, the several instances of bad data/bad claims by the IPCC, and so on. 

I think that is one of the problems we are having these days.  People don't think.  They won't think.  So, in the absence of thinking, it becomes very easy to fool those who won't think.  "You can fool some of the people most of the time, most of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all of the time".  The ones you can fool most of the time won't think any of the time.  The ones you can fool some of the time got lazy and failed to think something through on a particular occasion.  But eventually, the truth will come out.

That is, if there isn't a government or organization that suppresses it first.

No comments: