Friday, April 27, 2018

Obligatory, 4.27.18

Now that I won't write about politics, I am a little hard-pressed at the moment to come up with any type of new content.

So, where do I go from here?

There is still my off-grid project, which is nearly four years old now.  Wow.  After four years, there's still nothing out there.  Well, there is the remains of a failed structure.

I retrieved some videos I took from that time.  Unfortunately, there's not enough material there to answer a few questions that I now have.  No, the only way is to go back out there, and that costs money, and I don't want to spend it right now.

What I am looking for is another location for the cabin.  The thought occurred to me, why not build it in the same spot as before?   The problem is the building restrictions.  It was okay to build something simple.  This is going to be something permanent, and so I want it a bit further away from the property lines.  It may be far enough now, but why take the chance?

As for the structure itself, I am settling in on a plan to use the footers as a foundation.  These will require the use of a jackhammer, as the soil is hard as a rock after about six inches or so.  I will go down about a foot and a half.  The current plan is to make a 2x2 foot square base, upon which I will put a cylinder that is about sixteen inches long by eight inches in diameter .  The cylinder will rest inside of the base, and will have rebar for strength.  The cylinder and base will still be a couple inches below ground level.  At ground level, another 2x2 foot square will top it off.  Not exactly, though.  I may put a preformed concrete pod down in it.  The pod has a place where a four x four inch post can fit into it.   The posts will be eight feet tall.

All the posts will be eight feet apart, which allows for a neat fit for standard size boards and studs.

Therefore, the structure can be 24 feet by 8 feet in dimension.  That is about the size of this trailer, so I know that it will be big enough.

There will eventually be a porch on the south side.  This will allow me to avoid having the sun shine on the south side of the structure, and that will help in climate control.

The hardest part of this project will be in getting the foundation in.  Using that jackhammer is not something I look forward to.  With some luck, it may not be all that bad.

Since all the wood is pre-cut, it should be a snap once the foundation is in, and it is square and level.

Cattle panels will not be used this time.  I tried to work that idea in, but it is not feasible.

So, this is my thinking so far.

You know, looking over those videos reminds me of a few things.   One thing, is that this place is really remote.  The other is all of the sand and all of the bushes.  No trees, just bushes out there.

A perfect place for a hermit.



No comments: