Sunday, November 15, 2015

There are those who may disagree, but this blog is meant to be constructive

What criticism that is made at the Boots and Oil Blog isn't designed to destroy people.  That is not my purpose here.

That said, I have decided to make a post about my project out in West Texas.

I've written a bit about clean coal tech and so forth.  Not only that, but I've been cleaning out a lot of junk that I can't take with me out West.  Then a little brainstorm hit.  Why not use this stuff?  It so happens that I would like to reclaim waste water through distillation.  I can burn the waste paper junk ( mostly junk mail and old books ) in order to obtain energy that can boil the water, condense the vapor back into pure water.  I can accomplish many things at the same time.  Perhaps I can even make a point of two worthy of note.  ( I blush as I write this.  Not)

What kind of energy can I get out of a pound of waste paper?  I googled it and found this page.  I read through a bit until I found the answer I felt I could use.  I'll put it up here:  ( actually down there )

1055 joules equal 1 BTU.  There 6447 BTU/lb equals 6801585 joules.  3.6 million joules in 1 kwh.  1 lb paper yields 1.88 kwh of heat energy!  Can that be right????????????????? 
If I have a couple hundred pounds of waste paper ( and I could have that much and more ), then that's a lot of frickin' energy, kemosabe.

There's already a post on a system to make distilled water.  Alrighty, put that on the To do list when I get out there.

I don't have to throw away all of this junk.  I can use it.  Point made.

Update:

Since we know that 1 lb of paper yields on average about 6.8 megajoules, then from this page, we may be able to calculate the approximate amount of water that it can distill in kg.    Heat of vaporization is 2.257 megajoules /kg  or about 3 kg of water.  Not quite a gallon, I'd say.  Actual results may vary, of course.

This one goes into the water subtopic of the off-the-grid posts.


Prev   Next


No comments: