Monday, November 16, 2015

The Long Goodbye

Or is it Hello?  Whatever it is, I'm not working again.  I just about decided to go back, but I changed my mind when I bent over to pick something up.  Uh, oh!  There it was again, that same back pain that I've had for the last year.  It seems that one gets used to a thing, but there's no doubt that this isn't getting any better.

But I'm hoping that it gets better than what it is.  It may be good enough to work, but that would be pushing myself.  Perhaps I should back off a bit, hence the day off.

While taking the day off, I started rummaging through all the old stuff I've found in the place.  Stuff that I had forgotten about.  I even found instructions on how to use the slide rule I had in high school.  Wow.  The slide rule may still be around, but if it is, it is hidden somewhere.

The "Long Goodbye" was the title of some story in the "Holodeck" of the USS Enterprise.  You know, Star Trek, the Next Generation.  Maybe that was the name of it the story on the Holodeck.  It was something like that.  It may be in the movie First Contact, as there was a scene in which the Captain was talking to "Nicky, the Nose".

Anyway, I'm using that as the title of this post because the thought of that ran through my mind as I was throwing out the old stuff.  In a way, I'm saying goodbye to my past, and hello to the future.  It is a long goodbye because there's a lot of stuff that is reminding me of all the years gone by.

Are you bored yet?  I thought so.  Enough of this nonsense.  Note:  It was the "Big Goodbye", not the Long Goodbye.  Maybe that's the title of something else I'm mixing up with Star Trek.


No comments: