Monday, May 4, 2015

A few odds and ends

Well, in order to keep up the traffic, I am obliged to continue putting up material.  The appetite of the medium is insatiable.

One thing I did with my time over the weekend was to look at some biographical videos of actresses.  What got me started was this thing with Bogart and Bacall.  So, I checked into Bacall's biography.  Bacall led to Natalie Wood and Vivien Leigh.

There was this discussion about how beautiful Vivien Leigh was.  Funny, I didn't think she was so beautiful at all.  She seemed to have rather small teeth.  It seems to be a flaw to me.  Now Natalie Wood was absolutely beautiful.  Bacall?  Not so much.

Beauty may well be in the eye of the beholder.  Others will have different opinions.

As for Vivien Leigh, she did appear to be Scarlet O'Hara.  Thus, what kind of acting did she really have to do in order to be the character that she played on the screen?

Now for the men:  the only one I did any reading about was Jimmy Stewart.  Now, that fella could act.  His portrayal of Scottie in Hitchcock's masterpiece, Vertigo, was itself a masterpiece of acting.  He was "Everyman" in that video, which means he was a common type.  But there wasn't anything common about Jimmy Stewart.  If there is any nobility in America, this guy was IT.

Okay, that's enough filler for today.


No comments: