Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Picking up where I left off

The last post was about using a plow to remove a lot of dirt so that it can be used for collecting water.

Given my experience with digging out there at "da Ranch", I figured a labor saving device was in order.  This could be the ticket.  What I need to do is to scrape away about 4 inches of topsoil, and then build a shallow pond in the depression.  The depression will be lined with cinder blocks and reinforced concrete.  It will have to be a shallow layer of concrete, and it will take a lot of the stuff.  So, I may need another labor saving device if I am going to do this in a reasonable amount of time.  This would be a concrete mixer.  How to get it out there, though?

Rainwater will drain off the quonset huts into the shallow pond, and then be collected into a barrel or two for use around the place.

As for getting out there, I priced a plane ticket to fly out to El Paso.  It said 421 bucks for a round trip and a car.  If I went, I'd have to take a day off from work and do it over the weekend.  It would take a whirlwind of activity to do everything I need to do, so I don't know if I could do it all.

You have to make time to do these things, and you also have to spend a lot of freaking money.  Time and money is in short supply, unfortunately.




No comments: