Monday, December 22, 2014

Looking for a solution to the "ghost" gun problem

I'd really like to sell these gizmos.  I really would.

Two things, off the top, that would cause me to hesitate.

  1. A lawsuit by a overzealous gun control type
  2. A problem with the ATF in selling these things that they consider to be "guns"
What could I do to protect myself from these two scenarios?

I could get an FFL and contend that these are not guns and don't require serial numbers.  Don't know if this will fly, but I could try it.  If I am allowed to do this, that may eliminate the ATF problem.  At least for awhile.

A "ghost" gun in itself would eliminate the first scenario.  But insurance against that possibility would require some kind of screening activity that will eliminate any possibility that a ghost gun could get into the wrong hands.  There's no guarantee of the results being what you expect, however.

Of course, as soon as it becomes a real gun, there's always that risk.  But without a way to ID that gun to an owner, the case would be weakened.  That's the point of the ghost gun.  That also puts extra responsibility upon me to insure that it doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

So what if the worst possible thing happens?  A ghost gun is used to kill people and that ghost gun is traced to yours truly?  Well, I just might be in some deep do-do.  Business insurance, perhaps?  Well, if it becomes too complicated, it loses a lot of appeal.

Tough to decide this one.


No comments: