Friday, July 18, 2014

Theorizing

All along, since the beginning of the blog, I have struggled with the failure of this blog to generate traffic.  After a long time, I finally gave up on it ever achieving anything that could be monetized into an income.  I pondered the question of what makes things popular.

Consider how books are sold.  In order for someone to want to read your book, you have to present yourself as something of an expert at something.  It helps if you have made a lot of money.  An example:  take Robert Ringer's story of how he became a successful author.  He basically wrote about his success, and convinced many people, including myself, to buy his book so as to enjoy the successes that he found as a real estate broker.

Looking over Ringer's techniques, he did the following:

  • came up with a catchy title --- Winning Through Intimidation.
  • had a successful background that gave credibility to his story
  • he may have had to have used unusual or unique approaches to getting his book published
  • got publicity for his book
  • the book itself had to be readable and somewhat entertaining, which it is
Now, looking at the personal results for reading his book.  After all, I bought the book hoping to find some secret to success.  Alas, I found none.  Sure, the book was informative in a way, but it didn't get anything done for me.  The missing ingredient has to be oneself, I suppose.  All Ringer does is to try to get you to think on a higher level of thinking.  I surmise that I don't do that, nor haven't done that, and that could explain the lack of success.  I can correlate that with another book I read, which was about becoming an entrepreneur.  The author suggested thinking in terms of concepts.  That is to say, higher ordered reasoning powers.  Concepts, principles, and so forth.  These are abstractions that are distilled through the concrete nuts and bolts of existence.

How do people succeed at what they do?  It has to be a manipulation of sorts.  You have to get people to do things that you want them to do.  Looking over the broad swath of this society, I see how the string pullers are managing us.

Do I want to become like they are?  No.  I want to resist them better.  That should be the reason for reading this blog.  If you are wondering why things just keep getting worse and worse, just remember that the string pullers are controlling things.  If you want to get control back from the string pullers, you are going to have to find some way to be more independent.  This requires a higher order of thinking.  Don't rely upon popularity in order to find truth!  We are being manipulated by the string pullers through the device of seeking popularity as if popularity had any truth or value.  Well, it does for the person who is popular.  Anybody else is questionable.


No comments: