Sunday, July 20, 2014

Soil test, part 2

On my second trip out there, I took another soil sample.   Just now, I put together the soil sample inside a plastic jug that I filled up part way with water.  Then a complete shaking that distributed the water completely through the soil, so as to give it a chance to mingle pretty good.  Now, I've set it down and let it separate out.

The last soil test revealed a couple distinct layers.  This wasn't detectable at first, but after letting it sit for a few weeks, it is quite noticeable now.

The soil samples look slightly different from each other, as the first one looks redder than the second.  Both are somewhat more red than the soil in this part of the world.  The soil around here looks black or grey.

I may have mentioned this already, but it bears repeating.  While I was there, I noticed that the soil sample was at the surface, mainly, because there is a hard layer just beneath the surface.  Less than a foot, I'd say.  This is indicative of a hard pan layer that may be typical of the region.  It could explain the rather small number of trees, and the ones that do exist, do not get very tall.

Something to keep in mind on my next trip.  This next trip will not come soon.  They cost a lot and I've got to get this spending under control.


No comments: