Sunday, March 16, 2014

David LeBlanc - Molten Salt Reactor - Calgary Interview for Thorium Remix

Continuation of the videos that I've been watching.  There were 3--- I've watched 1, and this is number 2.  So far, about half way through.  I'm sure that a lot of people get bored and moved on, but there's still plenty of good stuff to keep you interested.  But the interest level dies down.

At the NextBigFuture site, he summarizes the first one a bit, but not this one, nor the one that follows.

I won't summarize, but I'll include some salient points that I add to this video.  I may post more later as I finish viewing this one.

  • Canada's nuclear regulatory system is different from the US's.  Canada will allow a company like his, but it wouldn't be possible in the US.  That is a bit worrisome for Sorensen's Flibe Energy.  In the USA, it is all presumably based upon the current technology as if the technology is written in stone.  The US is stuck in the fifties.  Canada is more likely to produce a new generation of reactor than we are.  To me, that speaks volumes about what's wrong.
  • But even in Canada, the regulatory and governmental inertia is present and is a problem.
  • He discusses the irrational fears of nuclear energy.  Actually, this is probably something that should be required education in every school all over the world, but especially here in the US.  The ignorance could literally be fatal. 
  • Update:  Finished now.  Only want to say that these opinions that I've written are my own.  Don't let them sway you into not watching the video.  Regardless of your position on nuclear energy, you should at least be aware of what's out there.  I think this is really good stuff, but maybe someone will not agree.  It would be interesting to see what another viewpoint would be after watching this.


No comments: