Sunday, May 5, 2013

OK, that's enough: I now understand this book, part VII

If you were to substitute "nuclear rocket" for "warp drive" in the movie Star Trek: First Contact, you'd get the flavor of this book.

There's a scene from the movie where the Enterprise's Crew tells about the benefits of the warp drive.  How it creates world peace, ends disease, and puts mankind on a better path.

The book has that feel to it.  The nuclear rocket is supposed to do all these wonderful things for us.  Kumbaya, baby, kumbaya.

Well, it may seem a bit harsh to call this a Trekkie book, but there it is.




I don't mean to make fun of the book.  Or the movie.  I like the movie and I like the idea of nuclear rockets.  I can even believe that a lot of good can come of it.  But Dewar takes it all a bit far, and leaves himself open for this.

Sorry.


No comments: