Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Suspension of disbelief

I may be getting on a bit shaky ground here, yet I will mention it anyhow.  It is a bit shaky because I am trying not to be too naughty here.  Why is this naughty?  Because of where I first heard this phrase.  It came from the movie Basic Instinct, which is quite naughty indeed.

The phrase was used and it caught my attention.  And so I am using it here.  I came across this phrase again while reading about riddles, which I am thinking of using as part of the name for the non profit, if there is one.  Here's the reference to the phrase here in the Wikipedia.  I'll extract the quote where I saw the phrase.

The riddle involves the phenomenon of 'suspension of disbelief' inherent in storytelling and its power over the human imagination.

I went there because of my interest in semantics.  The use of language is important, I believe, because we all need to know what is meant with the words we use.  I don't want to use the wrong word, when a better word could be used instead.

It also struck me because I downloaded a copy of an ebook written by a commenter here who writes for the blog called Eternity Road ( on the sidebar).  I am reading that ebook now.  The book is about the art of storytelling.  So, I am bit struck by the coincidence.

No comments: