Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Greatest Story Ever Told

I watched that movie last night.  It was the first time I saw it.  It seemed rather tame in comparison to Mel Gibson's version.

Wikipedia's discussion of it struck me.  It seemed to be more about controversy than the film iself.  That discussion seemed weird, frankly.

I don't get the anti semitism charge.

People's reactions seem to confirm to me that people just can't handle the truth.  The version just mentioned above was less about the crucifixion than about what led to the event.  Gibson's version was the opposite.  At any rate, the crucifixion itself had to be pretty brutal, after all, it was fatal.  The crucifixion is what made it all meaningful.  If it wasn't for that, the story would have been forgotten.  But this is what people don't want to see or deal with.

No comments: