Sunday, March 25, 2018

Rebel without a cause...

An idea just popped up while I was stewing over the latest "news" on the web.

Earlier today, I googled Grand Funk Railroad.  It seems that there have been some
changes in the group's lineup, which I have known for quite awhile.  But I was
wondering if they produce any new material?

Back in the old days, Grand Funk was quite prolific.  They would put out a new
album about every eight months or so.  This lasted about seven years, if memory
serves.

But why discuss Grand Funk?

Well, the concept with Grand Funk was basically this: they were the basic teen
rebellion against the critics.  Critics hated Grand Funk.  It was true, too.  There
was stuff that made me cringe, and I was a fan.  But as I grew older, I came to
see all that differently.  It was a marketing gimmick.  For example, band manager
Terry Knight believed that there was no such thing as bad publicity.  So, if the
critics panned a new album, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing.  The teens could
buy the albums because the critics hated it, just like the parents hated it.

Now, I am older, I can see that this has wider applications.  The current
conventional wisdom is that Trump is a bad president.  But, this is due to PC.

The point is we can all rebel against the critics and the "parents" who know best
by continuing to support Trump.  We can rebel against the PC.

Is that all there is to it?  Not exactly, but I think the these go together somehow.

Allow me to tie in AGW, for example.  AGW tells us to believe the scientists.  But
why?  Because the scientists know best?  It is almost like your parents again, and
the critics.

What about thinking for yourself as to what you will believe or not believe?  Why
do we need somebody to tell us what to think or believe?

I can do another AGW post, you know.  I can do it based upon experience as a
driver.  I know that because I spent the minimum of ten hours a day inside a
van, which has glass windows.  I know how heat is trapped inside of a vehicle.

I have lived it.  I KNOW IT.  How many of those people who believe in AGW actually
spend much time out in the weather?  How many of these people actually work on
their own cars, and therefore understand air conditioning?  How many of these
people know even a little about science?  Yet, if you hear them, they claim to
be the experts.  They claim to KNOW, but what do they actually KNOW?

Show me that you know something, then we can talk.

I know I started with teenage rebellion, and segued into something that probably
seems unrelated.  But it is related in one sense.  Thinking for yourself.  Don't
let someone else do your thinking for you.  And try to talk about a subject on
the basis of what you understand about it.  Don't tell me Grand Funk is a bad
band, when you don't know music.  Don't tell me that Trump is bad, if you only
listen to what is politically correct.  Don't tell me to believe in AGW when you
don't want to listen to any other point of view.

Try to formulate your own opinions based upon your own knowledge.  Otherwise, why
should I listen to you?


No comments: