Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Review continued

There has been something of a review going on lately.  Reviewed the blog, and now it is time for a bit of a review of my preparations for the move out West.

In keeping with that, I've been going over a few things here at the apartment.

It seems that the shower device will require at least one gallon of water to do the most basic of cleaning.  In order to fully clean, it may take much more.  This isn't new, but it is worth reviewing.  I used it for a quick cleanup just now.  The battery needed recharging.  So, the batteries that I have around need to be reviewed as well.

Battery inventory:
  • 1 35 amp hour 12 volt battery.  Status: recently checked
  • 1 jump starter recharger type battery.  Capacity not known.  Currently regularly used.
  • 2 batteries for electric scooter.  Capacity: somewhat less than the 35 amp hr battery above.  Status: unchecked for weeks.
  • various other batteries for devices that are contained within their devices.  Amongst these are some used phones.  The batteries should still be good.
Besides the batteries, I checked my sleeping bag.  I simulated a preparation for sleep, and then rolled it back up.  It can keep you warm down to 40 degrees Farenheit, it says.  I'd say that is accurate based upon my trip.

While checking the bag, I deployed the chair like I was going to sleep in it.  This is the system that plan on using for sleep.  Since 40 degrees has been tested, what about lower temps?  Must have a plan for that, too.  Thinking of using an electric blanket.  The downside of that is the battery drain.  Still is quite demanding on electricity use even though it should be a lot less than a space heater.

There is a 2 cycle gas powered electric generator that has never been used.  It could possibly run a 500 watt space heater.  This might be handy on a really cold night on the property.

Plans should include a wall that faces north so as to block the cold north wind.  This is a part of the plan of construction of the "quadrangle".

There's a general outline of the plans in the Table of Contents for the entire series, as well as subseries that includes
  • Water
  • Food
  • Construction
  • Power
  • General topics
There are just under six months left for the earliest possible departure date.  This date is unlikely though.  Much is still to be done.

While I review that, I can also review my reasons for doing this.  It appears that it won't be the best option for me if the idea is to live as cheaply as possible.  There is another way.  But somehow, the cheaper way doesn't do it for me.  I am sticking with this even if it is harder and more expensive.  Why?  Not sure why, and I may regret this decision.  I've certainly gotten more than I bargained for so far, already.


No comments: