Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Computer security ain't

Sorry for the light posting.  I've been mired in the muck of this security issue and it struck me at how much of my time is being chewed up dealing with something that isn't even productive.  But it is rather instructive of the state of things today that I have to do this.  Everybody has to do this, too.  If you do not do this, you are going to have the troubles I'm having.

So, I share a little of the story without going into details of it.  Why?  The paranoia created by the lack of security.  I don't want to say too much, you see.  But that could help!  Sorry.  I hate it, but that's the way it is.  It is also so very unnecessary, and necessary at the same time.  The distrust is necessary for self defense.  But the reason for the distrust is the fact this shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Why?  I've written this already.  But it bears repeating.  No security problems, or at least at the scale that is taking place, should be happening.  It has something to do with decisions being made at the very beginning, and at the very top.

Take Windows for example.  It is my opinion that a lot of questionable security practices were allowed so as to encourage business.  What does this mean?  Well, it's like deliberately doing less police work so as to encourage private security business, you see.  If the government doesn't do its job, then somebody has to.

In this case, the companies making the operating system, like Microsoft, are encouraging the bad guys to take advantage of the security flaws that exist in their operating system.  Microsoft, for its part, is probably claiming that they are working harder than anyone to achieve good computer security.  But the security lapses that exist are "make work" that increase profits for a lot of people at the expense of the people that they are supposed to be serving.  In other words, it is a flawed product.  We, meaning the public, are required to foot the bill, and suffer the damages that occur from their flawed product.

As far as I'm concerned, I shouldn't be having these problems.  It is not MY fault that Microsoft's product is flawed and allows security issues to arise.  Microsoft should not be making billions of dollars off their flawed products.

What should be done?  I dunno.  Maybe avoid buying Microsoft products from now on as a starting point.


No comments: