Sunday, January 19, 2014

Self Selection in Wonderland

al fin next level

Excerpts:
  • Students naturally self-select their degree according to a combination of inclination, aptitude, and perseverance. [ check: That's what I did.  In fact, I was making my own decisions by the time I was 13 years old.  Unfortunately for me, these were not the best possible decisions.]
  • Knowledge may be priceless, but a higher education is clearly not. [ check:  I got a degree, but little good it did me.  It was even in a field that was in demand---computer science.  My grades were good.  But the quality of the education, which I conclude was inadequate, was the key.  That's what I take from this post.  Educators ain't educating.]
  • Dangerous Children have mastered at least three different ways of supporting themselves financially, by the time they are 18 years of age. [ check.  I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to be when I grow up.  Clearly, I wasn't a "Dangerous Child".]
I tried a lot of different things.  None of them have worked out.  But all along, I wanted to write.  So, here I am doing it.  I was warned that writing wouldn't pay much.  How true that turned out to be.  Haven't made a penny doing it, but I love it so much.

If I was like my oldest brother, I would have been a mechanic.  I found that out that I wasn't.

I tried sales, but that was no good either.

If I was like my daddy, I would have been a hunter.  In his later years, he talked about living off the land.  He could do it too.  But I never really learned how.  Hunting and fishing ain't my bag, baby.  But I could do it even now if I had to.  So could a whole lot of people.  My old man could drive an 18 wheeler.  Now, that is something.  Not everybody can do that.  But the old man died off too early to teach me that.

My mom lived on a farm when she grew up.  Family farms are a thing of the past, but may have a comeback when the machines take over.

I started to learn Spanish, but didn't finish that project.  Russian too, same story.  I did finish my degree, so I got that going for me.


No comments: