Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Space may turn into science fantasy--- not fact, nor fiction

For me and the general public, that is.  There's nothing I can do about this subject personally except to write about it.  Nothing for the general public either.

The big players, like Elon Musk, will be the ones driving this forward.  All anybody like me can do is to watch from the distance.  Hell, you can't even invest in it.  SpaceX is private.

What this will mean to the general public?  It all depends on how successful Musk will be.  I figure that his reusable rocket proposition has a great chance of success.  It is what he decides to do with this technology that puzzles me.  He wants to go to Mars, but for what exactly?  He wants to take a colony there.  What will they do there?  What is the purpose for being there?

Terraforming Mars is a fool's errand.  It won't last even if it's successful.  It may make sense to mine the asteroid belt using Mars as a jumping off point.  Nobody is discussing that at the moment.

If all I can do is watch and speculate, then it is a bit disappointing.  But I am game to do even only this much.  The thing that I can do is thought experiments.  Nobody will take up the experiments most likely, but at least it will be discussed here.


No comments: