Monday, March 26, 2012

Putting things together

This blog is an intellectual exercise, if nothing else.  It hasn't been a commercial enterprise, but that would be nice if it could support itself.  But it doesn't, alas.

There are over 3100 posts now and the blog is reasonably organized.  If anyone wanted an answer to a question, it could be found, I would hope.

I do this myself in order to test that.  For example, I remember reading about envy.  So, I wanted to find this again.  How to do that?  I put the word "envy" in the search box at the top of the page and the top post from the search produced this post.   This post was fascinating for me to read.  I hope that others may have had the same experience.  Now, if you wanted to, you could do the counterpart to that with "Tiberius" as the search word.  This produced another concept which I think is important if one wants to understand where we are, meaning the human race.

There's a theory percolating that I want to explore further: so I put in "Us v Them" in the search box.  It returned this post at the top.   I fear that this mentality could destroy us all.  It's part of what I wanted to communicate with this blog.  There are solutions to problems, but I suspect that the Us v Them approach is not a constructive way to solve problems.  It's not the 99% v the 1%.  There's plenty of blame to go around.  I figure that envy is a problem for the 99%, while the Tiberius syndrone is a problem for the 1%.  The refusal to recognize each one's part in the problem will not get us to a solution.  Instead it will lead to strife and an unsatisfactory outcome.


There's a question that pops up from time to time when a new technology is being discussed.  The question goes something like this:  "If it is so good, why isn't it being done?"  I think the answer to that question has been provided here in this blog, provided that an answer is really desired.  I suspect that the question is being posed as a way to discredit new ideas.  A sort of Tiberius syndrome attitude.  The question presumes that we live in a perfect world   It should be obvious that this isn't the case.

This blog isn't about despair, but at times, it can be discouraging.

No comments: