Monday, October 31, 2011

In a perfect world...

Nobody's perfect. You've heard that a million times. I know I have.  It has been said so many times that it is one of the most overused phrases in the English language.  Yet, nothing more true could ever be said. We live in an imperfect world with a world full of imperfect people.  Yes, in a perfect world, there would be peace and goodwill amongst all. In a perfect world, the truth would be told.  Freedom would reign and we would live happily ever after.  But such a world does not exist.  We have to take it as it is.

I wanted to write something about the E-cat yesterday, but I saw I wasn't accomplishing anything with the line of thinking I was on, so I gave up on it.  That is an example of my own imperfection.  I was barking up the wrong tree, I was messing up.  Yet, I want to write something about the E-cat, and especially something about this most recent test.  What to do?

Frankly, the test was a bit of a let down.  I expected more, but this is all we are going to get.  How disappointing.  Why?  It seems that it is in Rossi's power, if he so chose, to silence all the critics.  But he didn't do that.  Even more, he almost seems to not want to do that.  In a more perfect world, he wouldn't have to. But this isn't a perfect world.  In a perfect world, such an invention would be embraced enthusiastically, but that is not the case, now is it?  Ok, what would I have Rossi do?

But, some might say, why should he do anything at all?  To answer that, I'll reiterate that this is an imperfect world.  Not everybody is reasonable, intelligent, and open minded.  The world is full of jerks, to put it bluntly. Sometimes, you just have to accept that, and try to deal with it the best you can.  How to do that?

I'd like to think that there's enough open minded, intelligent people who can be persuaded.  But you can't just expect these people to seek you out.  You have to seek them out instead.  Those who can be convinced have to be reached.  If you don't try to convince them, inertia will claim them, and the progress you might have made will be forfeited.

Rossi doesn't want to do demonstrations.  But in order to reach as many people as possible, I think he must. Otherwise, the jerks will continue to make the most noise and that noise will drown out the voice of reason.  I'd like to think the voice of reason is louder than the jerks, but experience has taught me otherwise.

Someone said on one of the comment threads I recently visited that the truth will win out.  No, that is not always the case.  I'm here to tell you that is not always the case.  It may not even be close to being the case. In order to win, you have to make the effort to win.  Even then, you may still lose.  Make no mistake, there is going to be active opposition to this E-cat.  There are people who stand to lose a lot if this succeeds.  They will oppose this with all their strength.  To prevail, you can't just trust blindly to some forlorn hope that truth will out in the end.  You must make sure that the truth wins.  Otherwise, it may not.

Rossi has called his critics "snakes".  But name calling won't win the argument.  He will have to prove his point, or otherwise, he just looks like a madman or a fool.  You can't reach reasonable people unless you are willing to consider the critics as having some valid points.  Dismissing them all as evil won't win over the crowd.  This is not a perfect world.

No, Rossi is going to have to continue doing demonstrations.  He will have to make the demonstrations better and better.  Only by doing enough of them, and constantly improving upon them, will he be able to convince the broad masses that this E-cat can work, and will work.  If he doesn't do that, he is inviting controversy.  Perhaps that is what he wants.  Who knows?  Maybe in my own imperfect way, I am advocating a losing idea.  All I'm doing though, is approaching this as I would like to be approached myself.  If I see a controversy I'll say: "Show me the facts, and let me decide."  I'm sure that there are enough open minded people out there that this approach could work.  But I could be wrong.  In the end, people may be too blind to see the truth no matter what you say.  But I am hopeful, despite all the imperfections, that reasonable people can be reached.

 I consider myself to reasonable, intelligent and open minded.  I saw this and I am convinced it could work.  But even for me, doubts remain.  These doubts must be vanquished for all time.  Otherwise, inertia will win, not the truth.  To me, that would seem be a shame.  That's because it would be a lost opportunity.  The consequences of such a loss may be hard to fathom.  Wars are fought over things like this.  Think about it.

No comments: