Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Off-grid post, 2-15-22



Assholes and elbows on this idea the last few days. The lite posting is the evidence of little attention elsewhere.

The idea is to build a battery system. It is a complex task, which is what 90% of this is about. That's just the research behind it. Not a build, just the research. The incentive to do it could be to save money. Emphasis on "could be". It turns out that the real money savings comes from used parts. If these fail, there won't be much money saved, and it could even cost more money.

There are some pretty expensive parts that you have to buy if you want to go the solar route. One of the significant expenses is the battery component. If you can save money there, you might have something worthwhile. But there's that risk mentioned above. Another risk is that I don't do this kind of thing, so the possibility of error must be factored in.

The rewards could be significant. The risk isn't all that significant in terms of money. But there are other considerations. Like screwing up and getting myself injured or worse.

Just guessing that size of the project should be somewhere close to 10 kwh. This will run most everything I've got, but I'd still have to be careful to ration my electrons.

Working up a basic idea on cost for an entire system. It is not out of the question that I could try this, or attempt to do this. The bigger question is if I am nutty enough to try.

It's like a lot of things. I've got some thinking to do.

No comments: