Monday, June 15, 2020

Xbox peculiarities






Now that I am an owner of an Xbox, and having gained some experience in the use of it, it may now be time for a bit of discussion about that experience.

Note that I didn't say a "proud owner" of the Xbox, just an owner. I wouldn't be an owner at all if it weren't for the fact that I was determined to get this thing. The store clerks didn't even care if I bought one or not, given how they seemed so indifferent about the sale of one.

As I mentioned in earlier posts, I wanted this thing in order to practice some driving skills. For that purpose, it seems to have yielded some useful results. I didn't have high expectations, and therefore, I am not completely disappointed. But I am not thrilled either.

So, having stated some slight dissatisfaction with the thing, what could be better about it?

The Xbox comes in two varieties at the present time. One is an all online gaming system, and this one I got still uses a disc. I prefer the disc. The reason for this is that there is just too much stuff going online these days. I didn't buy the thing to join a gaming community for crying out loud. All I wanted was to practice my driving skills. But the creators of this system seem determined to make all of it go online eventually. At some point in the future, the disc system will no longer be available.

I'm not happy to go online with everything. I think online stuff belongs online and offline belongs offline. It isn't necessary for me to be online all the doggone time.

By the way, you can play DVDs with this thing. But you have to sign in online in order to do it. That isn't necessary. Why does anyone have to sign in online to watch a movie? It is absurd.

The same is true about the gaming disc. You cannot use the thing unless you are signed in, and the disc has to be in the machine, or you cannot use it. The Xbox explained that it needs the disc to verify legitimate ownership. Harrumph.

Other gripes include a really clunky interface. If Microsoft makes this thing, why not make a smooth interface system? Windows may not be your cup of tea, but it is fabulous compared to this thing. There is no mouse, and the controller has to substitute for one. Not only that, the controller has to be used for input of passwords. Yes, there is a way around that. ( I think)

The installation itself was an entirely separate story in itself. I actually returned the thing and got a second one because I couldn't get the first one to install. If there were adequate instructions with the thing, this could have been avoided. All in all, this is very user unfriendly.

I'm not some computer newbie. I've been using computers of some kind going way back into the seventies. EARLY SEVENTIES. This thing is a throwback to the clunky computer systems of days presumably long ago in the past. It is retrograde in that respect.

I was told that this was a data hog. It can be, if you start using some of the online features. It is not too big of a nuisance though if you avoid this. In my case this is important because I am on a tight data budget. The more data I use, the more it costs me. Since I don't have a big budget overall, I am interested in avoiding additional expenses.

Still not finished with my gripes. I have had the thing less for about two weeks and now the controller needs batteries already. Arghhhhhh.

If it weren't for the fact that I was determined to use this thing, I would have nothing to do with it. Perhaps other folks have a different opinion. Let's just say I am not thrilled.





No comments: