Monday, October 14, 2019

What does "mansplain" mean?

Comment:

Quick update:

5:33 pm:

What do they call this "Bush-splaining"?

4:45 pm:

Navarro is quoted to have said "Don't mansplain me!" to Senator Paul.

I've seen the term before.  It doesn't interest me, generally, to follow their weird vocabulary.  But you have to understand the enemy.  It does look more and more like they are committed enemies.

So what does this word mean?
:: Wikipedia "wikisplains" it to me:  "the person being explained to knows more than the person explaining it."  Aah!!!  So, the only thing required is that the person being talked to is the feeling that she is being talked down to.  It is condescending, in other words.  Maybe she knows more than the guy does, maybe she doesn't.  But all she needs to feel is that she knows more, and that is all that matters, evidently.

Another jewel I'll pluck here:  New York Times labeled it as "words of the year".  Yeah, the New York Times is one helluva authority now.

When it comes to the lefties, only they can talk down to anybody, since they know so much.

The problem is to identify it as a gender item, when it doesn't have to be.  Anybody can talk beyond their knowledge level.  Yeah, I'm sure I've done it too.  Lots of times.  The world is a tough place, what can I say?  But if you hide behind something that is used as an excuse, maybe you are wrong.

I think it is shallow, and that is what determines so many things today.  Maybe shallowness has always been the way of the world.  But it never seemed to be so clear to me as it does today.


No comments: