Thursday, July 5, 2012

Ubuntu installed

But this post is being made using Windows. The installation was supposed to be easy, but the process took all day yesterday. It took two attempts to get it to work with the internet. The first installation didn't take, so I started over from scratch.

The results were less than hoped for.

Not that I won't be using it ever, but there are a few things about it that are a bit less than optimal. One is that it can't handle this small screen very well. The netbook has a small screen. It tends not to be easy to scroll around and see everything on a page as you would like. It also changes the appearance of videos. It seems a bit distorted.

The wireless access to the internet is also not working, which makes it impossible to carry around the house as you work. You have to stay at a fixed location while on the computer, just as you would do with a desktop. Evidently, the software to run the wireless part has to be found somewhere and downloaded. Or it isn't working properly.

Another thing is that I wanted a single installation to be usable on multiple computers. That may not fly with this thing, but I haven't tried it yet. I am doubtful that this installation will work on my desktop. We'll see.

I won't be using it again until the weekend when I have more time.

No comments: