Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Greatness of Ronald Reagan

1980 Presidential nomination acceptance speech:  Reagan says of America's problems "not your fault".
But Carter thought otherwise, and so does Obama:
The problem with us Americans is that we have never quite measured up to our world-historical President. Lately, President Obama has been telling us that we’ve lost our edge; that we’ve gotten a little lazy; that we aren’t competing the way we used to; that we are suffering from a malaise. No, wait–that last one was his spiritual forebear Jimmy Carter.
If anyone wants to claim that Reagan couldn't get elected nor even nominated now have rocks in their head.  The problem today is that nobody measures up to this guy. 

A bit of a confession here:  I didn't vote for Reagan in 1980, but I could have.  No, I didn't vote for Carter either, but for Anderson.  It was a protest vote because I thought Reagan's tax cut proposals went too far without a corresponding spending cut.  I was right about that, but wrong in not making a basic choice.  The choice at that time was between what we had and a better alternative.  My choice could have led to the wrong alternative.  That was a mistake.  I freely admit it.

No comments: