Saturday, May 7, 2011

Winning Through Intimidation

I wrote about Ringer before.  What got me thinking about his ideas again was the bit of recognition I expressed earlier today.  People really want to believe a thing to be true.  But wishing it to be true doesn't make it so.  Ringer had a section on that in his book, and a good summary of his book is right here.  The relevant section is "THEORY OF REALITY".  This is a much condensed summary of the section in the book.  As I understand it, Ringer asserts that failure results because of the inability or unwillingness to face reality.  People will substitute a wish and that wish will cloud their ability to see the truth which stands between them and their goals.  We might wish the world to be altruistic and kind, but the reality is that the world is best described by the joke- "it's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear".

No comments: