Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Aircrete--- off-grid post, 10-20-21



This seems like an exciting new subject for me. I really like the idea of something that is strong enough to build with, but it fairly light.

If you haven't heard of it before, aircrete is concrete, but with a lot of air bubbles introduced into it so that when it hardens, it is much, much lighter than concrete. It is something of an experimental substance, because it is hard to get uniformity with the stuff. The problem is that the bubbles can collapse before the concrete hardens, which forms voids, and that's bad.

All the same, I like the concept. Ideas are swimming around my noggin with the prospect of experimenting with the stuff. There are a lot of videos on YouTube which show what it is, and how to make the stuff yourself. It doesn't have to cost a bunch of money, which is another thing I like.

It's probably not strong enough to pour a slab with. But you may be able to walk on it, so sidewalks aren't out of the question. You can make bricks out of it, and it is strong enough to support its own weight, so that walls aren't out of the question either.

For my purposes, this could work.

No comments: