Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Neither the rain, snow, or sleet will stop...

my off-grid experiments.  Indeed, the bad weather we are having here is giving me the opportunity to check out some techniques for living off-grid.

For example, I have noted in the past that the dehumidifier heats up the place.  Now, it is a useful thing to know if you want water and some heat.  The temp is below 40 degrees farenheit, so that is cool enough to want to warm it up a bit.  The humidity is rather high, so I can open up a door a little, and let that humidity and fresh air in the room, while the dehumidifier warms up the place and makes a little water.

It uses a bit more electricity than what I would like, but I am compensated with warmth and water.   Is it worth it?  Well, the warmth makes it more comfortable, but do I need water when it is raining?  Not really, but if the rain stops, it will still be cool and humid.  Besides, you can always use water.

All of this may seem crazy, since I don't really need to do this for heat or water, but the idea is to train myself to do this kind of thing, for it may come in handy some day.

On the down side, you cannot make passive solar heat, nor more photovoltaic electricity.  What do you want---everything????

If it were windy, I could still make electricity that way.  But I don't have that here, and it wouldn't make sense here anyway.  That will have to wait until I get out there, if that ever happens.

What is stopping me?  Well, I may be getting a bit of a McClellan attitude here.  Too much perfectionism perhaps.

The move out there is a big step.  No rush just yet.


No comments: