Monday, November 13, 2017

Rethinking the Quonset idea

Prev  Next


This post will go into the Construction sub-series of the off-the-grid main series of posts.  These posts can be accessed from a table of contents and watched individually or in series from beginning to end.


The Quonset idea may have to be reconsidered.  The reason is that I will have to put an outside wall on it anyway.  Having it doesn't seem to offer any advantage if I have to do that.

Instead, there could be the outer wall and an inner wall.  Between the two can be insulation.  It may be a simpler idea to execute.  The Quonset didn't work because tarps I used did not work out there.  Too fragile.

Now that I think about it, perhaps a canvas top instead?  Will a canvas top work?  You see, the problem here is that there needs to be something that is durable enough to last, and is waterproof.

Okay, I looked up a tarp that is said to be strong enough for roofing purposes.  In order to make the Quonset the size I want to make, I would need two 10x18 foot tarps.  This will cover a structure that will be 7x16.5 feet when finished.

Now, if this tarp is truly strong enough, I won't need an outer wall.  That is the original idea.  Make it simple and make it relatively small.

One thing to remember was in the difficulty in getting the tarps in place.  I will need a plan for that.


No comments: