Friday, September 8, 2017

Obligatory, 9.8.17

Originally posted 9.8.17, updated on,

9.8.17, 11:30 :

Learned something from the experiments.  The smallest container relative to the wastewater container is the best choice.  Not only does it produce more water, but better water.  However, not too tight of a fit because the water needs to roll down the sides and fill up the collection container.

9.8.17, 13:00 :

Now have four containers into play.  Found a large container, and put a 2 liter soda bottle in it.  After baking some French fries with some aluminum foil covering the pan ( so I won't have to wash any dishes), I reused the foil in order to make the containers warmer.  Was that sentence long enough for you?

Anyway, I am continuing to play with that concept in order to see if it can be made to be worthwhile.

If my prose doesn't get any better, I am going to have issue refunds.


the original post follows:

This will be mostly an off-grid type post, but I don't want to include it in the off-grid series.

What to do with anti-bacterial waste water?  You don't want to run it through the septic system, unless you want the risk of degrading its effectiveness in treating waste water.  The anti-bacterial water will kill off the bacteria that consumes the waste that goes into the septic tank.

The idea now is to use that solar distillation method discussed earlier on this blog.  Used up plastic bottles can be utilized for capturing water vapor and reclaiming the water.  As you are disposing of the waste water without degrading the septic tank, you are also getting some water.   At least in theory.

Trouble is that this isn't producing distilled water.  The water is much cleaner, but it is still dirty.  Furthermore, there isn't much of it.  The method at present isn't producing even an ounce a day of water.  Just not enough plastic bottles and containers yet.  It is very labor intensive, so I have to improve upon that as well.

Better handling of waste water will save energy.  Instead of using grid electricity as I did for the distillation experiments last winter, my goal will be to use solar energy instead.  This method can only treat small amounts of water for now.  That is okay.  It isn't critical.  Indeed, it is better than just leaving an open container of this stuff lying about.  This way cleans up the water and disposes of the waste water in an environmentally friendlier way.  ( er... say that again? Me, an environmentally sensitive guy?  No, but that is what they want these days.  "They" means the government.  Who else?  )

Besides the water distillation, I am trying to get my energy use down between 3 and 5 kwh per day.  Quite the goal, I'd say.  Just checked the meter this morning, and it looks like I used a lot more than that.  But I could be mistaken.  Best to keep an eye on this and see where the energy is going and when.

Last few days have been relatively cool for summer.  It will warm up again later, but right now it is rather nice for these parts.

Because of the weather, the a/c unit was on for only 30 minutes last evening.  Aside from that, I didn't use it at all yesterday.  No need.  I turned off the freezer, so the energy use is a bit of a mystery at present.

These projects are working out okay, but my big problem now is money.

Two things I need.  I need a septic system, and I need an electricity generation system.  A propane generator won't be economical enough.  So, there's the big challenges I face, because these things cost money, which I don't have right now.  Nor, does the prospect of getting any money seem to be in sight.

Lest I forget that my health is still an issue.  Of course, if I start to go downhill again, all of this is academic.


No comments: