Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Rainwater experiment... updated 6.7.17

It has been raining  a bit here lately, so I am collecting the rainwater in a five gallon bucket.  The water is fairly clean looking, and tests out at less than 10 ppm of dissolved solids.  However, I don't think it a good idea to use it directly.

I got an idea to run it through a filter, but it is taking too much time.  Next thing was to add Clorox to it, and then run it through my commercial filters.  That may not be a great idea.  The Brita filter is slowing down, and the Zero water filter is doing something strange.  I tested the Zero water filter output, but it isn't a good number.  It actually is worse than the input.  Therefore, I think adding Clorox was not a great idea for the health of these filters.

At present, it remains to be seen if these filters are ruined.  If so, I will have an expense that I didn't anticipate.  Call it an expensive lesson.

Clorox treated water may need to sit awhile so that the clorine can dissipate out.  That could be the next experiment.

original post on 6.6.17, current time is 12 pm:

It definitely looks like the Zero water filter is messed up.  The clorine didn't dissipate out like I hoped.  It won't get water as clean.  As a consequence, I will use this filter for cleaning up the rainwater collected.  It will be utilized in the evaporative ( swamp ) cooler.  I won't miss this water, and it may actually get recycled up to a point.  That is because the a/c condensation water rolls down and collects in my rainwater bucket.

Zero water filters aren't cheap, so I can get more use out of it this way.

No comments: