Tuesday, July 12, 2016

This may not be a drill

As you may know, if you have been reading this blog, I have been getting ready to move out.  The plan was to move out in January, but something may happen to change that plan.

It so happens that there may be some sort of problem with the apartment office here.  I paid my rent, in the usual way, on time and in the office.  No receipts, as generally there doesn't appear to be a need for one.  Unless of course, there is a problem.

I don't know what the problem was, but the check never cleared.  On Friday, after work, I get home to find a notice on my door.  I was to clear out for non payment of rent.  Of course, this was a shock as I thought I had paid.  First thing on Saturday morning, I rent a storage place to receive all my goods until I can get things straightened out, if possible.

Upon opening of the office, I went inside, and showed the notice to the girl there.  She says not to worry, the proceedings won't take place until 72 hours, and if I were to pay with another check, all would be well.  She said she had an "ach" device that she would run the check through.  I watched her scan the check, and she handed me a receipt, with her initials on it, and a note that said paid with the date on it. 

This morning, at midnight, the deadline passed.  Either the check was there, or the proceedings, as they were, were to begin.  I figured I was okay, since I took the check in, got a receipt, and was told if there were any problems, I would get a call.  No call came in, so I figured I was okay.  But I checked the bank, because I was not going take any chances for another snafu.  Lo and behold, the second check had not cleared yet.

Whoa!  Now I am past the deadline, and for all I know, I may have to vacate immediately.  I have been loading my van into the night hours.  I said that I wanted to travel light, but this is not quite what I had in mind.  It is still a lot of stuff and it is being done in haste.

It could all be a false alarm, but still.  I don't want to go out to work and then come home to find that I can't get inside my apartment anymore because the management has taken possession of the apartment.  Hence the haste to remove my stuff.

The storage facility opens at six.  The office opens at nine.  Either I have a place or I don't.  If I don't, then next few days could be chaotic.


Update:

Back from the storage place with the first load.  Don't know what to take next.  If this is a false alarm, I will have to bring it all back.

Update:

I took a load of mostly my off-the-grid stuff.  At least I can leave it there until this blows over.

It's past nine now.  I don't think I'll go by the office.  If they want to call the law, then let em.  I haven't done anything wrong anyway.

I'll keep running stuff today.  Maybe this will blow over.  The check should have cleared.  Either someone wants to be a dick, or someone just got careless.

Update:

I'm still here.  Still moving stuff to the storage.   There's still a lot here, though.

Update:

The check has cleared.  I think the problem is handled for now.


No comments: