Monday, May 9, 2016

That word again---sin

What is sin, anyway?  Like anything else these days, a definition of sin can be googled, so here goes:

Wikipedia ( not known for its sins ) has this:

In a religious context, sin is the act of violating God's will ( which links to Divine Law ) which states:
In Thomas Aquinas's Treatise on Law, divine law comes only from revelation or scripture, hence biblical law, and is necessary for human salvation. According to Aquinas, divine law must not be confused with natural law. Divine law is mainly and mostly natural law, but it can also be positive law


Sins must be defined, then, as a violation of biblical law?  Here I am thinking that it was merely a moral error.  All of these complexities.  There could be hundreds of sins.  I'm thinking that voting for Hillary is definitely bad.  Can't it be a bit more simple and convenient?

Like the Ten Commandments, maybe.  I'm sure my sins aren't as bad as everyone else's.  But I'm not claiming snowflake status, yet.

I don't want to seem irreverent, or too much of that, as it is a serious topic.  Even snowflakes might agree.


No comments: