Monday, August 4, 2014

If only

It has been a long refrain on this blog that if you had enough energy, you could do almost anything.

So, what if I had a molten-salt reactor on my property?  What could I do with it?

One thing I think that I could do would be to make a helluva lot of water.  I don't know how much exactly, but a lot.  You can simply condense it out of the atmosphere.

How much energy?  Well, one about the size that they tested in the lab in the seventies.  About 10 megawatts or so.

It may use up a golf ball size piece of thorium every decade or so.  The nuclear waste that would have to be stored would be about a sixth to an eighth of that.   Doesn't sound too dangerous, does it?

I'm guessing one of those machines that condenses water would use about 1 kwh of electricity per day.  It could produce about 6 gallons or so.

One of these reactors could power hundreds of them.  In turn, they would generate hundreds of gallons of water per day.

You could do plenty with that much water.


No comments: