Saturday, August 9, 2014

Facts are stubborn things

One source of that quote that I can recall attributes it to Stalin of the Soviet Union.  Another attributes it to John Adams, the second president of the United States.

Whoever said it was right.  As of now, I'm having to deal with some stubborn facts that are not to my liking.  Just now, I've come home from the usual oil change that I reserve for Saturdays, since my time is so limited during the week.  I noticed some uneven wear on my front tires, which is trouble spot.  Sure enough, after checking out the front end, it looks like a thousand dollar repair job to set it right.

After all the money that I've been spending, this is most unwelcome news.  But not unexpected.  After all, the van has nearly 300k miles on it.  Stuff is going to start wearing out and that's going to take a lot of money to keep it rolling down the road.  On the other hand, replacing the vehicle with a new one will cost plenty as well.

If I keep the van, I will have to have a use for it besides making deliveries.  I've considered making an RV out of it.  I mentioned that to the repair shop proprietor and he offered to sell me his.  The price was a bit out of my range.  Besides, you have everything to worry about with an RV that you worry about with an auto.  Plus it is a living quarters.  It will have to be insured and so forth.

The van can be risked, an RV that costs plenty cannot.  That's an easy decision.

Another vehicle will cost significantly less than the RV.  You may have to insure both vehicles for awhile.  But upon renewal, only one.  The renewal will be nearly 10 months from now.  If I get a pickup truck, it will require a camper shell.  Those aren't cheap anymore.

Back to the van:  I was thinking of making it taller by cutting away the roof and putting a top on it.  Forget that.  More expense that I cannot afford.

One thing is certain:  the Van will have to be replaced in any event.  It won't last another 100k miles, which is what I need it to do.  Or could it?  Not without a lot of repair work.

The realities of moving out to El Paso involve a lot of stubborn facts like these.  It still takes money to make it in this world.  That is a stubborn fact that cannot be overlooked.


No comments: