Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The chaos of existence

Anybody remember the movie Jurassic Park, where the Chaos Theory gets lots of discussion?  It got even more discussion in the book.

I relate that the chaos of thoughts in my own my mind.  Thinking shifts from topic to topic and thoughts get lost.

There's this sense of urgency, don't lose time.  Time is precious, and time is a tyrant.  I can relate that to another movie Castaway, where the main character played by Tom Hanks, discusses time.  Time is important in the delivery business as I well know.  Probably true in any business.

Time is always moving.  You could miss something important, but in keeping up, you are using valuable time.  It is part of the chaos of time.  Thoughts and events and get lost in the shuffle of events and the passage of time.  It is very distracting sometimes when you are trying to write for an effect.  The effectiveness can be lost in the shuffle as thoughts get lost in the shuffle of the chaos.

Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm just going though the motions and not getting anywhere really.  There is a goal for achievement, but somehow I don't arrive at the destination.  There is a saying that may be escaping me at the moment.  It may go something like this:  If you want to make God laugh, make some plans.

Stuff happens.  But the urgency is to "get on with it".  Too many people, myself included, seem to go about with the attitude that they have all the time in the world, but that is not so.  Time is short.  Time is fleeting.  We are here but for a short time.

Management of time becomes paramount.  Always thinking of ways to better utilize time, yet in spite of all this, little seems to get done.

Shifting the thought pattern a bit, towards another train of thought.  A topic I've covered before and that is "bad thinking".  An example?  Going around and around in circles is one.  I note that I've covered things already, and I'm repeating myself too often.  In the larger picture, there's the tendency to think that since there's progress now, that there will always be progress.  History has shown otherwise.  There can be setbacks.  Western Civilization went into the Dark Ages for centuries and nearly went out completely.  Without the heroic efforts of some, everything could have been lost forever.  This is not a phenomenon restricted to the past.  Molten-salt reactor technology was nearly lost forever.  Due to heroic efforts, it has been revived.  It's a warning that progress is not automatic.  But, I've covered that already somewhere in this blog.  To extend that thought, it looks sometimes like the commentariat spends too much time on the here and now and doesn't look often enough at the Big Picture.

Time management is a problem.  But it is all a part of the chaos.  Trying to control the chaos is a fool's errand.  That's one of the themes in Jurassic Park.  But you try to manage it anyway, which is one of the themes in Castaway.  Good luck with that.


No comments: