Monday, April 1, 2013

On pessimism part two

Do people who are negative know that they are that way?

That is a question I saw on quora.

I posted about that this very morning.

I think the question implies a bias towards being optimistic about things in general.

You could flip the bias to the negative, and ask : do people who are positive have a realistic understanding of the situation that applies?

There's nothing wrong with being positive but there must exist a reason for the optimism.

Being negative does not necessarily mean that you're being unreasonable, nor does being positive as being synonymous with being right or accurate.

I would rather be right than be optimistic if the optimism was unrealistic.

By the same token, I would hate to be pessimistic if there were some reason to believe that there were very legitimate reasons to be hopeful about a situation.



Sent from my Virgin Mobile Android-Powered Device

No comments: