Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Inspirations for this blog

  1. Mining The Sky:  as soon as I came across this, my posts became more regular.  It did turn on a light in the old noggin.  I would say that it was the inspiration that got me moving.
  2. Star Trek TNG's First Contact:  there was a scene in which made me realize that if we did have the abilities such as- traveling faster than light, teleportation, putting into material form whatever we wish, such as an evening meal -we no longer would have any concept of wealth.  Moreover, we would not have any concept of scarcity, in the sense that we have now.  Which would make conflicts less likely, since conflict tends to come down to arguments over limited resources.
  3. Bussard's Polywell:  This technology, should it be successful, would make energy cheap and plentiful.  This meshes well with #2 above.  In addition to the Polywell, any other device that would master energy so as to have the same effect.  There are many which I have covered here in the last several months.
  4. The Space Show: I first learned about the Space Show from researching the Polywell.  Dr. Bussard called the Space Show and that is when I first heard about the show.  It so happens that I understand what Dr. Livingston is trying to do, or I think I understand.  Anyway, it is repeated on each broadcast, so you can hear what his vision is for yourself from the links above.
  5. The Energy Problem: This is something that I've been following since 2004.  At that time, I had the original Boots and Oil blog, and I came across some information at that time that convinced me that we have a definite energy problem in this country.  This is what led to me start looking into ways that this problem might be solved.  That is how I found out about the Polywell, mentioned in #3. 
  6. The movie JFK :  This pretty much turned me against the Democrat party.  Up until that time, I'd say I was a independent moderate.  The movie was an absolute disgrace, and what really offended me was how political figures at that time were trying to exploit it.  I guess you can say it boils down to this: a total disregard for truth and honor.
  7. Global Warming:  This probably goes with #6.  Lack of respect for truth.  I suspect that it has been turned into a religion for many, and has not that much to do with science.  But this blog isn't about debunking AGW.  That argument would become meaningless if aneutronic fusion becomes feasible.  Which is another curious thing that I've observed about those who believe in this theory.  Of all the technologies that might work to solve the problem that they believe exists, this is the one solution that would cost the least and have the greatest probability of success.  Yet they aren't very interested.

There could be many more that I could mention, but these are the main ones.

    No comments: