Thursday, August 11, 2011

Daily Plan, 8/11

An idea that I had a few months ago, to blog according to a plan for that day, has reoccurred to me.  After reading through the first chapter of The High Frontier, I have decided to blog this book today.  That will be the Daily Plan, since nothing else seems to be interesting to me today.

The book is the original book, which means that it is a bit outdated, having been written in 1976.  Nevertheless, it is an interesting read, particularly in comparison with events that are transpiring this very day.  By the way, it was written just a few years after the last man walked on the moon.  We were experiencing an Energy Crisis, a fear of overpopulation, and the beginnings of the concern about global warming.  There was talk about creating a static society, one which does not permit economic growth, in order to deal with a decreasing bounty of resources available.  The solution, of colonizing space as a way to relieve these problems, is thus easily seen within that context.

That does it for chapter one.  I will post from time to time today, as I go through the book.  Keep tuned.

No comments: