Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Morning Summary, 7/30

It has been awhile since I've done one of these.  It is a state of the blog type of post, which, for awhile, became a habit.  Now the habit has been replaced by another habit, which was the status quo ante.

I like to blog, but the wages have been rather poor. Actually, the wages have been zero. It would seem that there isn't much of a market for blogs these days. At least, for a blog like this, which surprises me a bit.

From time to time, there has been adjustments that I have made with respect to this reality. And it seems like we are about to enter another one of these adjustment periods. In short, I need to decide what I will be doing next. I want to write, but to do it, I need to make some money at it.

The idea of writing a book has crossed my mind. If I were to combine all these posts into a book, as Google would like to sell to me, then I would already have a book. As of now, there are over 1700 posts. To be sure, not all of them have been exactly gems of writing, but if there were some serious editing, you might have enough material here to make a decent book. But I won't be doing that, though.

Should the book be a novel, or nonfiction, or what exactly?  I have to consider that.  I think a novel would possibly work with my usual material, because space is a speculative thing still.  If I were to put it into a story, as opposed to a series of posts in a blog, it may do a little better.  The trouble is, I have had no experience writing novels, or telling stories for that matter.  It is a new skill that I would have to learn.

Nonfiction serves my style better, but it may have more of a problem in getting acceptance.  The public may expect you to be someone of eminence, and as of yet, I haven't achieved anything like that.

No comments: