Saturday, May 14, 2022

Off-grid post, 5-14-22



Since the last time I wrote about the solar panel system, I haven't done much with it. Instead of that, I've built a wall on the southwest end of the trailer. It really wasn't that big of a project, but it takes me a long time to get things done anymore.

It's still not done, but I could stop here. One thing I noticed about it was that it doesn't stop all the sun. In order to remedy that, I'll have to put a top on it. The sun gets so high in the sky, it still shines on it even though the wall is nearly as tall as the trailer. Just a small amount of material on top will close it all in. It's 18 inches from the trailer, so you wouldn't think that the sun can get around that, but yes it can. Just that much can subject half the wall to sunshine. Sunshine means heat, and that means more power to keep things in the comfort zone.

As for the solar panel, the thing is still quitting on me in the hottest part of the day. I think it might be the inverter. Or, oddly enough, it might be the BMS. However, I don't recall having the temperature monitoring feature on this BMS. Nothing obvious that I can think of that could be causing this.

There's still the possiblility of getting a bigger battery, but I haven't decided yet.

At the rate I'm going, it might be winter before I finish this solar project.

No comments: