Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Off-grid post, 3-23-2022

 



I expected a delivery today. It is a 24 v, 500 watt inverter.

Delivery came about 1 PM. Got held up on some other events, and got back on this about 4 PM. There were two more connections that were necessary. I did those, then carefully put the connections together and did a pre-test before the actual test. Everything seemed ship-shape, so I crossed my fingers and flipped the switch. The gizmo came on and displayed the correct voltage. Great! Next test was to attach a small fan. Turned it on and off very briefly. Seems okay. More tests to come. Looking good so far.

The apparatus is not ready to go just yet, as tasks remaining are "mopping-up" exercises. Once that is completed, and the unit installed where I want, then I'll be in business with this thing. But not quite there yet.

I'm planning to run my swamp-cooler off this thing. The inverter is low-end, so I don't know how much useful work can be done with it, but that's what I'm trying to find out. Based on the manual, I can run it at 300 watts of load. That's not much. Everything is on spec as far as capabilities, but expectations have yet to be tested out. If everything goes as expected, the swamp cooler can run maybe 8 hrs max. This doesn't allow for losses. So it won't be that much in terms of capabilities.

Eight hours of swamp-cooler would be just about enough to get me through a hot day. Maybe. Summer months are around the corner, so I am wondering about that one. I forgot what the swamp-cooler's wattage is, but guessing around 70 watts. Eight hours would be 560 watt- hrs. That's within range of this battery's ratings. We'll see about that. The swamper is in storage, as the weather hasn't turned warmer just yet.

That all for now.

No comments: