Friday, March 12, 2021

Hard realities

 



First thing this morning, the computer says it needs to update. So I got on it right away, and let it do its thing. But it wouldn't take. This got me to thinking about something in connection with everything else that has been happening.

Nothing works right anymore. If the big Tech companies are now nothing more than the government, then what reason do they have to make quality products anymore? They are "too big to fail", so the government is always there to bail them out of their more frequent mishaps. Could this just be another symptom of the times?

If it is, then the probablity is that computers won't work right in the future. Chilling thought, as I sometimes forget how dependent I am on this thing. If it becomes unreliable then what?

It seems like we all live in a bubble of one kind or another until it bursts. This could be another bubble about to burst, you guys. It may be necessary to learn how to live the old ways again, if that is possible.

Er, what old ways? You actually a pencil and paper if you want to figure things? You mean using a landline telephone, assuming that you can get one? Or no telephones at all! That's right. If nothing works, it may mean horse and buggy too!

Our "brave new world" is dawning. I am not ready for this crap even though I thought I was getting ready for it, I am in a bubble like everybody else.



Update:


Looks like the problem might have been a false alarm. Still, it gave a message that there was an error, and I could have kept going on and on before the thing finally showed success. Whatever reason it gave for an error should not have happened. It cost me valuable data, which is in limited supply.

With that in mind, I spent time on the web researching the options going forward. This machine I use is nearly five years old anyway. May be time to look for a new computer.

One option may be to build my own. If I did that, I may want to go with a linux machine. I experimented with Ubuntu several years back. It cannot be duplicated with what I have now, however.

There is also the possibility of building a server. Or buy one or the other or both. However, all that costs money, and that is also in short supply. Stimulus funds or not.





No comments: